Friday 12 September 2008

Politics

Well, Hmmm, 2 days ago, this decision was nowhere on our horizon. As you are all well aware, there is a Federal Election coming up. Our riding is in the middle of Oil Country. Ft.McMurray/Athabasca. The only parties with candidates were the Conservatives and the Liberals. (Really, those are the parties that represent the majority of the people in this are) Ryan and I were feeling conflicted. We really wanted to vote in this election, but we did not want to vote for either option. We have always leaned left on the political spectrum. So, Ryan decided to do something about the situation, rather than abstain from voting, or vote for a party we don't want.

He decided (with my full support) to enter the running as a candidate for the Green Party. It just seemed right to have an alternative voice to try to temper the gross misuse of our natural resources.

We are in the heart of Oil Country. The majority of people depend on oil for their living - directly or indirectly. The desire to make that extra buck has led Oil to sacrifice the environment, our water, and precious agricultural land. These are resources that are vital to the health and survival of all of Canada. It is time for Albertans to become more considerate of nature and become stewards of it's wellbeing.

Do we expect to win the seat? No. That would be quite a feat! We just want to give the people who live in our area a choice that tells others "Enough!" "It's time to change our values and start to take care of our country's physical needs"

So, the next 3 weeks are going to be very busy around here. We are new to this political thing and we will learn as we go. It will be quite an experience! How many people can say "I ran for office in a Federal election"!?!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, This is very interesting. Talk about maverick. Well, it will be a good ride and if you you two get a few votes that would also be fun. How does one go about getting votes for speaking and all that stuff? I am sure you will have some good stories.

Richard

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...I can see it now...my son the Member of Parliament! I love it!!!

Eleazar. said...

Ryan's going to win.

I should opt for the West Shore riding.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you for following in what you believe in. Way to go. Love you all.

A-J said...

Wow, that's pretty amazing! Way to go, guys! Off on an adventure :)

Ryan Cracknell said...

The campaign might be on hold for one election. It was likely I had the nomination but in checking with our school division's superintendent there is the possibility that I might have to take a leave of absence for the duration of the election campaign. That won't work. He's looking into it and probably won't know until Monday, which might be too late considering the election is so close and lots need to be done (I already had about ten phone calls to make and no plan things considering the first thought of maybe running came 24 hours before the in-term nomination. There's still hope but they're a lot slimmer than 12 hours ago. We shall see.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Do you need campaign help??? Go Green!!!

Sarah said...

wow! that is something else!!!
ok, so I saw your comment Ryan, so what's up?

Ryan Cracknell said...

Earlier in the week I asked my name not be requested. Heading in I had two real goals: make sure at least three names were on the ballot and have my students a little more interested in the election. Both of these goals were met. So rather than risk being a not-so-good and burnt out family man in a month's time I decided it would be best for everyone I bow out.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bev!

Ruth said...

Happy Bday today Bev!! Hope it's a great day.
Love, Ruth

A Place of springs said...

Very interesting! What an educational expirience! Good luck.