Saturday 6 September 2008

My Grandma's memorial

My grandmother passed away on July 22. My family got together in Gibsons on Aug 18 to remember her.

Here are some pictures of that memorial and a few of her over the years.



We planted a magniloa tree in her honour and mixed her ashes into the soil around the tree. Everyone took a turn mixing her into the dirt and spreading it under the tree. Later, we all took a turn watering the tree. The tree will bloom around her birthday. Big white blossoms.

A big suitcase filled with photos surfaced as her kids cleared out her room. I never knew these photos existed. I really enjoyed looking through them. Many were old family snapshots from when her kids were young. Others were family snapshots from when my Grandmother was young. I also saw her wedding picture, her parents 50th anniversary picture, and another of her parents as young adults. In many ways I felt like I was learning about a whole new part of who she was. My aunt will be scanning the best of those pictures and I am looking forward to having those files.



And finally, a few pics from the last few times I saw her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev, I remember your Grandma well and she was a great lady. I am sorry for your loss.

Sarah said...

wow, so that visit to the old age home when I was with you was the last time you saw her.
I am so glad you uncovered those old pictures Bev. it is so nice to remember someone as a young, vibrant person and to see that part of her life that you had never seen before.

A Place of springs said...

Nice pix bev.