Friday 23 January 2009

A new look

What do you think of the new look for the blog? Ryan and I had a discussion last night about moving this coming summer. The decision made was..... Not this year. Summer of 2010 is a non-negotiable deadline. Destination is yet unknown. So, now you know our plans.

I figured the altered direction for 2009 warranted a change of layout.

In other news, Ethan has an ear infection. Ouch! Poor kid! It took me a while to clue in to what his problem was. At first, I thought he might be getting Chicken Pox! I'll back up and start from the beginning....

Both kids got a sinus cold from Ryan. It has stuck around for a while, (as sinus colds tend to do) but Ethan's nasal secretions (AKA - Snot!) became quite green on Tuesday. The next day, on waking from his nap, I noticed what appeared to be pimples on his face. They were not there when he went to sleep, so I decided to check his whole body. I found a cluster of 6 or 8 'pimples' on his lower back. "Whoa!" I thought. "These remind me of the beginning of shingles!" (which I have more first hand experience looking at than C Pox) So, I quickly e-mailed K-A some pics and asked her what her kids looked like when they first got Chicken Pox. She kindly sent me some pics of them, and they looked a lot like Ethan did. So, I decided to wait and see what happened next. He played normally and went to bed easily.

This picture shows Evelyn considering the idea that Ethan might have C Pox. Hmmmm...

At 3 am on Thursday, he woke and was miserable. He would not lay down, would not go to sleep, he had a mild fever, and was very irritable. He stayed awake, cuddling on the couch with me, and chewing on his fingers until I bundled him up to take Evelyn to playschool. I thought "maybe he's teething, he is chewing on his fingers a lot...I don't think it's Chicken pox - there aren't any new spots..."

It was a very long morning.

Shortly before I took Evelyn to school, I noticed Ethan's left ear looked red and I gave it a little tug. He SCREETCHED and almost hit the roof. "Ah-Ha!" I thought "An ear infection!" So I gave him some Advil (Ibuprofen) and we took Evelyn to school.

He promptly fell asleep in the car and slept for about an hour. When he woke up, he was normal again! "Now, WHY didn't I give him the Advil sooner?" I thought. Later, he had his normal nap and woke up with watery blood draining from his ear (Ack!?!?!?) I immediatly googled 'fluid draining from ears' and discovered that this is normal in an ear infection after the eardrum has ruptured. "Ruptured!!!" I thought "That can't be good!". I read a bit further and discovered that it's not that big a deal, it makes them feel better, and it will heal in a few days. 'Whew!'

So, his sinus infection continues, his spots are going away (whatever they were...)he is still chewing on his fingers a bit, and he is in good spirits as long as the Advil is working. Predictably, every 6-8 hrs, when the Advil wears off, my little boy returns to his monster form and I know it's time for another dose.

What have I learned from this? It is extremely common for kids to develop ear infections after a sinus cold. Typically, their 'snot' turns green, and a day or two later, they are screaming and crying and nasty. They may or may not have a fever, and they may or may not pull at their ears. Warmth is very helpful in relieving pain. Both warm compresses to the outside of the ear and warm olive oil dropped into the ear offer some relief. That said - no drops in the ear after it ruptures. They likely will not tolerate laying flat either. The best way to learn is through experience, second best is through the experiences of others! I was fortunate to not have ear infections growing up, and Evelyn has never been bothered by them either. So, the adage 'It takes one to know one' did not apply here. So, those of you with young kids, learn from this story!

I think I will take Ethan for a Chiropractor adjustment as soon as I have the chance - just to make sure all his nerves are non-compressed.

We finally were able to make a snowman! The thaw has ended and we've plummeted in the past 36 hrs to -37 with windchill. I'm glad we made the snowman when we did!

Ethan and Evelyn have enjoyed 'helping' Mama by shovelling the snow I just cleared off the sidewalk from the pile - to the sidewalk! Thanks guys!




Evelyn really wanted to make an "Ocean" cake. Here is the result. Graham cracker crumbs and skor bits for the sand, Littlest Pet Shop and Little People for the accessories. I used the same recipe as her birthday cake, but instead of chocolate cake (mix) and pudding, I substituted butter pecan cake (mix) and butterscotch pudding. The result was not nearly as good. The cake still looks pretty cute though and it only took about 20 min to decorate!


Oh! and Ethan recently figured out how to do puzzles. He completed this 15 piece 'Wonder Pets' puzzle all by himself!

Update: at bedtime tonight, I saw that Ethan just cut his last eyetooth! So he was teething! (at least that was a part of what was wrong with him!)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope Ethan is feeling better. Is he fighting off the infection himself with a little Advil help? Good way to build a strong immune system!!!! Love the cake. When you move home you'll have to teach me some cake decorating skills. Say hi to the family!!!!

Anonymous said...

PS : from the way I understand it children get rashes as part of an immune response. Like with a fever. I believe, building better immunity and ability to fight infection. No proof of this last part I know of, but I think its true

BevC said...

No antibiotics for him. I've read the stats for ear infections. It just does not seem worth it to kill all your normal flora in the hope that you MIGHT shorten the length of the infection by 24 hrs!

The pimple cluster remains a mystery in that I don't know what specific virus triggered it. I am happy that he spikes good, healthy fevers (not too high) and that whatever virus caused the skin eruptions seems to be under control now. His sinus infection seems a bit better, and he's cut an eyetooth today. I think there were several issues at once - not necessarily related!

Ruth said...

Hope Ethan is better tonight!
Love the snowman - those are special "buttons" Where did you get them from?
At 37 below he is going to last a looooonnng time out there!! YIKES that's cold!

Love the new look - it's more like a journal and opened up right across the screen. Nice.

Ruth :D

BevC said...

We were given a snowman 'kit' at Christmas. The buttons are actually felt that is attached to the end of an old film cannister! What a great way to re-use that plastic! They pop in really securely. The felt nose is attached to a film cannister too. The kit also came with the 'top hat' and scarf. An obliging shrub supplied the arms and the kids shovel completed the ensemble.

A-J said...

I hope Ethan's doing better. Like the look of the blog :)

Sarah said...

aww... poor little guy! and poor mama!!! good thing you figured out what was going on!!!

Sarah said...

hahahaha! I love the
"my little social universe" heading for your list of blogs! and can't believe Ethan is potty training already!!! man, he was just a little baby like last week!!! ;)

Jenn said...

Poor Ethan! That must have hurt.

Brandee said...

SO glad that Ethan is okay. In the midst of your worry, thank you for posting his symptoms and sharing the experience with us. I will catalogue this in my brain and remember some very good tips (ie healthy fevers are good and infections don't always need antibiotics) for when Maya gets her first illness. Hopefully I will handle it as calmly as you.
LOVE the new look. How do you get it to span the entire width of the screen. One complaint I have of the blog templates is that they are too narrow and squish all my text and pics!!

BevC said...

Brandee, the template was a 'stretch' version of one of their existing templates. I have been frustrated by the narrow format too.

A Place of springs said...

So no cpox? What was the rash? Maybe just form having a low immune system he just got a rash along iwth all the other stuff?

Hope he is better now! Poor little guy. I think Jan is the time for sickness b/c our kids are under the weather and it seems like the last few Jan that has been the story around our house. Maybe after chritsmas next year I'll have to start a immune boosting program for them.

Annie said...

You know bev, it's a little funny that when you pull up your blog it says in big bold letters
"A NEW LOOK" and there's ethan's rump! LOL

Ear infections are NOT fun at all. Glad he's all better now!