Friday 16 January 2009

A Mid-Winter Thaw!!!!!

It is above freezing today!!!! There are drops of water falling from our drain spouts! (Can you sense my excitement over these facts?) I opened our new living room window, opened the front door, turned off the furnace and aired the house out! Whoo Hoo! What a treat and what a welcome reprise from all the extremely cold weather we've had the past 6 weeks.







I cut Evelyn's hair this morning. It is about 4-5cm shorter and her bangs are about 0.5 cm shorter than I've cut them in a while. I was looking at some old pics of her with shorter bangs and liked how it looked on her. I think the cut turned out well.







After lunch, I roped up two of our sleds so they could be pulled in tandem, bundled the kids up, and took them for a walk and a play in the park. We were outside for over 90 min - we even had our mittens off - and we never felt cold! They played on the slides, and swings and enjoyed afternoon recess with the students. When we got home, we tried to make a snowman, but the snow is still too dry to make into a ball. So, we hung out outside and the kids climbed the mountains of snow that have been shovelled over the past 6 weeks.

Finally, at about 3:30 pm, I made them come in and have nap/quiet time. This is much later than usual, but being outside was too much of a treat to cut it short just to have a nap!


I am reluctant to look up the weather forecast for our area. I don't want to know when this weather will end. I just want to enjoy it fully while it is here, and not have that shadow of melancholy that would come with knowing when it will end.

What a great day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am envious. Your weather was warmer than ours today, feels even colder as it is very damp. Think maybe we took our weather there and brought yours back...lol. So glad Evelyn and Ethan could finally get out and play. Love and kisses. Mom (Nana)

Ruth said...

Look at those smiles! It looks like you all had a wonderful time.

Great pictures!

:D

Brandee said...

I think that we can be thankful for the COLD if only that it makes us appreciate the warm weather that much more!!! You got some great shots of the kids thoroughly enjoying their time outdoors. They are so happy!
We are taking Maya for her swimming lessons (not really lessons) today and will blog some pics later. LOVING your blog. Makes us feel closer to you all. Hugs!

Annie said...

Doesn't it feel great?! We walked to the park today too. Although it hovered around zero.
The kids look SO happy! It's awesome to get them outdoors for enough time to burn some serious steam!
I always find it amazing to 'hear' winter in the eves. I hope the weather stays for a while in your area :)

A Place of springs said...

It sounds so cool when it goes above zero! All the dripping. It always made me think spring was coming but then alas it would freeze and snow again.

Sarah said...

that is SO lovely!!! yes, getting above 0 is really miraculous!!
ADORABLE pictures of the kids! I especially like those 2 close ups of Evelyn with her new bangs! so cute!!!!!!!!

Sarah said...

bev, i've just gotta say, you do such a good job of your posts. you arrange the pictures so nicely, and have SO MANY pictures, you take time to write things so thoroughly, and it's just beautiful.