Friday 21 September 2007

2 videos and a series of unfortunate events

Here is one of Ethan:





Here is one of Evelyn:




Ethan has finally cut his first tooth! Evelyn only has one tooth to go, so I should be down to having only one child teething in the near future! Yah!

So, the day before Ethan cut that first tooth was an unusual day. Let me tell you about it....

It all started when I decided to wash my glass teapot. I thought "I'll wash it by hand in the sink so it won't break in the dishwasher." Good idea, but poorly executed. I dropped a mug on my teapot and smashed it in the sink. "Argh! Jeez, Bev! Get it together!" I say to myself as I clean all the shards up.

That evening, after supper, I remove Ethan's tray and start washing him up. He promptly stretches forward and pulls on my place mat. This sends my full glass of OJ crashing to the floor. Glass and juice everywhere. I set about cleaning it up and adding this glass to the glass from my unfortunate teapot. I thought I got all the shards, but I must have dropped one on the rug by the garbage pail. I discovered this missed shard a while later, but there is more to the story before we get there...

Supper is cleared away, the juice is mopped up. I decide to start cutting up some butternut squash that I have baked as finger food for Ethan. All goes well for a while and I am feeling very satisfied with my efforts to provide wholesome finger food for my son. While my mind is occupied with these happy thoughts, I proceed to slice my thumb - right into my nail. "Argh! What is wrong with you, Bev?!?! Jeez!"

Blood is everywhere (except the squash) as I attempt to staunch the flow with a paper towel. Evelyn is so helpful and runs to get a band-aid for "Mommy's hurt finger." All is well again, but I decide I am not cutting the rest of that squash. Ryan helpfully completes that task while I nurse my wound.

So, bedtime for the kids rolls around and we all settle in to vegitate in front of the tube. Our calm is interrupted by a very odd cry and gagging sound that is coming from Ethan's room. Ryan jumps up to investigate and quickly calls me to the room. I discover Ethan, absolutely covered in a huge amount of vomit. It is in his hair, his ear, down his back, in his little hands, all over his crib - everywhere! I whisk him into the tub and wash him off. He screams the whole time and keeps crying until he is dry and dressed and cuddled. He had been fighting a stuffy and runny nose for a couple days, but we were at a loss for the cause of this episode.

Once he was calm, I nursed him again and proceeded to burp him. All of a sudden, I feel his tummy tense and make a retching motion. "Uh-Oh!" he's gonna blow! "Yuck!" Everything in his stomach is released all over me. Fortunately, he missed himself, so I did not have to change him again! I call Ryan for back-up support (namely a towel to mop up everything) I get changed, and decide to keep Ethan up for a while.

With his track record, I decide to stick close to the sink. So, there I am, with a sick baby clinging to and cuddling my shoulder. I am walking him around the kitchen to calm him when I feel a rather unpleasant, sharp sensation in the ball of my foot. After a sharp intake of breath, I attempt to investigate the sole of my foot without disrupting the cranky and sick infant who is clinging to my chest. More blood, and a small shard of glass that is still protruding from my foot. I remove it and ask for Ryan to bring me a band-aid.

Soon after applying my second band-aid of the evening, Ethan's stomach starts heaving again. Thankfully, there is nothing much left to come out, and I am still standing next to the sink. Once he is settled, I cuddled him on the couch for a while and put him to bed. He slept uneventfully until morning. I made it to bed without further incident, and the next morning, Ethan had cut his first tooth.

Thank Goodness, that day is done!

This picture of Ethan shows off his fat lip. Two days after the series of unfortunate events, Ethan gave himself a really good split lip. He was pulling himself up to standing, decided to sit down, and caught his lip on the edge of the step stool he was holding on to. Blood everywhere (again) and Evelyn was so concerned. She wanted to put a band-aid on it so badly. She thinks they make everything feel better and wanted to make Ethan feel better too.

After a quick breastfeed, the bleeding had stopped, and I could assess the damage. He managed to split both the inside and outside of his lip. It was pretty swollen for a couple days, but looks almost normal now. I was surprised by how he ate and played and mouthed things without a problem. Poor little guy!

4 comments:

Annie said...

I've only watched the first video! It's AWESOME!!! Love all the editing you did.. songs... newspaper... That's SO great! Love the monster noises, the peek-a-boo in the oven window and that is my reaction to sauerkraut too!!

ok now I'll go watch evelyns!

Annie said...

OH my goodness!!! Ella is so funny! Ya, that'll be a great video when she's 15. Hahaha...
And what an unfortunate series of events! It's worse reading it than hearing it from you the first time. :( Poor mommy! Light some candles, draw a bath and relax ;)
(((Big HUGS)))

Ruth said...

OH, Bev! Aren't you glad those days are rare?! Somehow you get through and are grateful for normal days.

Awesome videos! Ethan's sure is fun. It must take a lot of time! Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

ARG!! Haven't looked at sight for a while. Thank heavens for tomorrows. Love and kisses to you all