Tuesday 24 April 2007

Facebook

Wow, as if I did not spend enough time on the internet as it is! Now there is 'Facebook' a database that connects you and every person you have ever known - to every person you have ever known. It made me think of the meaning of the word 'friend'. Most of my Facebook friends are people I have not heard from in almost 10 years! They were my friends, back then - now, they are acquaintances. It is nice to hear what they have been up to though!

These distant friends shared some of my most embarrassing moments and awkward growing-up phases. They were the sounding boards that I developed my life philosophies with. They knew me before braces, with acne, in all my pubescent awkwardness.

In many ways, it is comfortable to let those past relationships rest. It makes you believe you have started fresh and never had those awkward times. You have always been the person you are now...right? Renewing some of these connections has brought a barrel of red-faced moments to my doorstep. Then again, those moments were forming moments that shaped me into who I am now. And really, teenagers are so self-centered, they probably forgot all my blunders and only remember their own (which I have forgotten).

I did not expect all these memories and long forgotten emotions to surface when I joined this new craze. I am sure there are other 'Facebook' users who read this blog. What do you think?

On the plus side, should my high school class ever get a reunion organized, the 'Facebook-ers' in the group will have already done the "what have you been up to?" conversation and could maybe have some real discussions!

Just my rambling thoughts...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bev I still think of you like family. You don't need to worry about any red-faced moments with me. Especially since I don't have siblings, I think it is great to have known someone for so long and see the twists and turns life has taken. I think I was the embarrassing one in our friendship anyway!

BevC said...

Yah, we shared a lot of embarassing moments. I am chuckling just thinking of some of them!

Anonymous said...

I'mhooked on facebook too. I have been able to reconnect with high school friends and yes, relive all the teenage high school moments... I spend way too much time on line already! I need to exert some self control!

Anonymous said...

It's great to see what everyone has been up to in the past 10 years. Since we didn't have email when we graduated, unless you went to university together, you never really kept in touch.