Monday 8 February 2010

Budding artist

Evelyn's drawing and colouring skills have taken a big leap forward this past month. Here are a few of my favorite pictures that she's done:


This is a collection of Dora pics that she left on my pillow last night. It was her way of saying "I missed you Mom". One of the staff at her school pointed out that Evelyn tends to give her people a brown skin colour, while the other students give their people pink skin. I hadn't thought much about it before that comment. She does do that though. I'm still mulling over the psychology of this.







This one is Tinkerbell flying over the city. I love that she even gave Tink a skirt with a serrated edge. And made the buildings smaller to show depth and bring Tink to the foreground.










This one is a portrait of her new puppy (Stuffed dog!) from her Build a Bear party. She named the dog 'Christmas Dog' and has really enjoyed playing with it. She set her dog up and studied it as she worked on this portrait.















This one is all hearts and butterflies and heart-shaped sunshine. She loves Valentines Day and was thinking about it as she did this picture and the one after. I was impressed by her butterfly.
















This picture depicts Evelyn (in the yellow hat and pigtails) giving me (in the black outfit) a valentines card. She loves hearts now and is really working on drawing them . I think I'm a mommy hamster in this picture, with pink earrings.



We have lived a very quiet life these past few weeks. I've felt really introverted and have gone on a reading spurt. Purely escape novels. Mostly by Beverly Lewis. It's nice and good to do this once in a while. I know that next week and a few weeks after that will be really busy, so I think I'm preparing myself.

We are leaving for Disneyland on Saturday. Tonight, after supper, we plan to tell the kids that we are going on a plane to visit Nana. This is ALL that we will be telling them. They can ask questions as they see fit, and we will answer them honestly (though vaguely), without revealing our true destination. I fell giddy with excitement over this trip. I am SO looking forward to the moment they figure out where we are actually going. We will be home next Wednesday, so 4 nights and 3 1/2 days in the park. It's going to be so much fun!!!! I'm planning to start packing today after I finish the laundry. All the kids Disney themed clothing is going to disappear into the suitcases. SO EXCITED!!!

8 comments:

Annie said...

awww! I love getting colorings and home-made cards! She does very well with her hearts! It's a difficult shape!
You will have a Blast in CA! wow! I can't wait to see your pics!

Ruth said...

Yahoo!! What a wonderful surprise! You'll have to let us know how they figure it out.

Have FUN!
:D
I'm sure you will :)
LOVE the pictures mommy hamster.

A-J said...

Wow, great surprise for the kids! I love E's pictures.

Brandee said...

I feel your excitement - the first trip to Disneyland with your kids. CAN'T WAIT to hear all about it.
Love, love, love the pictures that Evelyn colored/drew and especially like the one with the Valentine and the portrait of Christmas Dog. Oh to be in the mind of a child - so precious.

A Place of springs said...

I love the energy you put into enjoying
Es art! and Yes she is very good.

Disneyland!!!!???? Fun.

shawna said...

have fun at disneyland! i noticed on evelyn's drawings on your post the only brown toned person is dora (who does have a darker, hispanic skin colour). the drawings of tinkerbell and you (as a hamster) and evelyn have pink tones. maybe she's noticed variations in skin colours and chooses the skin colours for varioius people that way.

Jenn said...

So sweet the drawing Evelyn has done. Bev, I love how you notice the details of her drawings! Can't wait to hear about Disneyland and see some pics.

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.