Wednesday 10 June 2009

Before, In process, and After









This has been my project of the last week. Every spare minute has been spent sanding, filling, repairing, sanding some more, priming, painting (first coat), painting (second coat), painting (touch ups). You can see on the gound in front, the soffits and fascia that blew off the house during two wind storms this winter. I'm waiting for a contractor to have time to come and fix that. I am NOT going up a ladder to the peak of my roof!

I also painted the landscaping logs around the crushed rock at the bottom of the windows (that was my project from last year).

Next year, if/when the house is put on market, I think I'll put a few baskets of flowers on the rocks.




I thought it would be a more straight forward process than it was. I discovered progressively worse dry rot on the bottom sill of the big window. You can see the smallest area in the right side. This hole was previously filled with about 1-1 1/2 cups worth of caulking. I filled it with wood and used wood epoxy to fix it in place. The other 2 sills had progressively larger rotted areas. The end result is not perfect, but it's a lot better than it was, and it is pretty solid and sealed.

I like that the old windows now match the new ones. Now, Richard and Shane, take a good look at my roof. What do you think about those curling shingles? If you were looking at this house thinking of buying, would you think 'needs a new roof'?

3 comments:

Dawne said...

House looks great. Even touch ups are tons of work! Hope Ryan helped you.

Ruth said...

Hi Bev, In regards to the roof. I suspect the roof is orignal given the house is probalbly 20 to 30 yesrs old. So it probably needs a new roof. However, you can most likely just shingle over the existing roof without taking the current shingles off. Shouldn't be more than $4,500. It will certainly make it easier to sell with a new roof. YOur window job look really good.

Love you all see you in 2 weeks.

Brandee said...

Wow - you are my hero. Way to get out there and get the job done. You did a FANTASTIC job!!!