Monday 4 May 2009

One Very Nice Day

Yesterday, after I got home from work, we all went for a walk and enjoyed the very warm evening. Along the way, we enjoyed listening to the croaking frogs and quacking ducks, and chirping crickets. Life! After a long winter, the sounds filled our souls and captured our imaginations. The grass is starting to sprout, there are dandelions growing on the edges of some buildings, and tiny leaf buds are showing on the bushes and trees. By the time everything is finally green, we'll have about 6 weeks of spring left before summer starts! Even after all the years we've been in Alberta, I still am stunned by how short Spring is here.

We came across a frog sunning itself on the road. Evelyn was very interested in it. She crouched down and tried to coax it into hopping onto her hand. She refused to touch it on her own, so I think, if it had hopped on, she probably would have screamed and thrown it away. The Frog was wise, and stayed put.




Ethan stood about 3 feet behind Evelyn and continuously admonished her "Ella! Don't touch the Frog!" and "Ella don't touch it!". After a few minutes, the frog hopped into the grass and Ethan screeched and ran away.

Later in our walk, we came near a marsh at the side of the road. The cacophonous roar of many frogs was almost overwhelming. We saw a few hop into the water, but could not get a close look. Then, over about 3 seconds, they all stopped croaking. We had walked along the marsh a few feet and I guess we appeared to be a threat. The silence was stunning after so much noise. After we had gone a few more feet, and were not next to the water anymore, they all started again. I could imagine dozens of Froggie eyes carefully following our progress, then letting out a big sigh of relief before resuming their song.





Along the walk, the kids were very nice to each other and enjoyed holding hands with each other, and with Daddy. I love these pictures of their hands. I know that one day, I will look at their tiny size in wonder.





When we got home, the kids played on our swing set (newly freed from winters 2 ft high grip) and we enjoyed the warmth of the sun while Ryan made dinner.

A great shift at work, followed by a peaceful and entertaining walk made for one very nice day.

10 comments:

Ruth said...

Wonderful! I still recall perfect days like this with the kids.

:D

Jenn said...

Great post! Loved hearing about your time outside. I think this year was the most spring fever I have EVER experienced. The sun and fresh air feels like it is literally breathing new life in to me!

Tasha said...

Nice pics. Your kids are sure growing up fast!! very cute

Nana & Papa said...

Good to hear the weather is warming and you can get outside. Will have to tell the kids about the pet frog I had when I was a kid. Love and kisses to all.

Annie said...

Perfect days???!! Who has those?! Can I sign up somewhere?!
I agree that Toads and Frogs are highly entertaining to watch but 'ugh' when you touch them! They are kind of gross feeling.
I like the pics of the kids holding daddy's hand- very special! They are so tiny compared to daddy!

BevC said...

Who said perfect!? Oh! your Mom remembers perfect days. I will classify this day only as 'very nice'.

Brandee said...

What a lovely post. I could almost feel the warmth of the sun and the freshness in the air as I read it. I love the pictures of the kids holding hands.
How do you alter the sizes of your pictures....some are larger than others? Would love your expertise as I continue to wade through blogworld!

BevC said...

Brandee, when you have the pop up window for loading pics onto blogger, there is a list to the right with buttons next to them saying 'small, medium, large'. That sets the size for all the pics in that upload batch. I uploaded a couple batches of pics into this post, and changed the size with each.

You can also choose where the pic orients in the post. I like to have them all either left or right, then you can stack them side by side and they stay together.

Brandee said...

Thanks Bev! I don't know how I missed that. LOL I actually think I remember seeing it the first time I posted a picture but forgot it was there. Anyways....thanks for the help. Look for some BIG pictures on the way...haha

A Place of springs said...

I love the picture hand too. It says a lot.

It's funny that Ethan didn't like the frog and Evlyn did. Cute.