Sunday 25 March 2007

Pina Colada Muffin Recipe

The kids and I went to church today. Evelyn had a blast playing with another little girl named Elizabeth. There was a potluck after the service and the girls amused themselves playing with a pool noodle. They had a sort of tug-of-war going on. Elizabeth is much more aggressive than Evelyn and she won every battle. Evelyn never seemed to mind though, she would just switch from tug-of-warring, to trying to catch the end of the noodle again as Elizabeth swung it around. The whole time, they were both squealing with excitement. When they got bored of that, they switched to the game of running around the sanctuary and climbing up and down the steps to the stage.

Every time Evelyn passed the sanctuary, she would say "Dance! Dance!" and start twirling in a circle. It made me think of Psalm 150:4 "
Praise him with tambourines and dancing. Praise him with stringed instruments and flutes." and of 2 Samuel 6:14 "Wearing a linen ephod, David danced in the LORD's presence with all his might." It is my hearts desire to see her love God, delightedly dance in His presence, and be a woman after His heart.

When it was time to go home, Evelyn threw a beautiful 2-year-old tantrum and screamed all the way to the car and the whole time I strapped her and Ethan into their seats. I gave her warning and chances to say goodbye. I don't know what more I could have done to reduce that tantrum! It was a real doozie!

In other news, Ethan has started to blow 'raspberries'. He is a droolie boy to begin with, but now, he is totally soaking his bibs and shirts! I have had to wipe sprayed spit off my face more than once. I was very careful not to model the 'raspberry' to Ethan, but he figured it out anyway! I remember remarking at how NOT droolie Evelyn was as a baby. I was so happy about that because I find drool and spit really gross. It turned my stomach - even as a nurse! I did get a little acquainted with it as Evelyn began to cut teeth. I am glad I had that easy initiation, because I feel better able to deal with Ethan now. I'm glad I have developed a stronger stomach. Oh, he is starting to sit up on his own too!

As I packed up my leftover banana bread muffins after the potluck, I received rave reviews for one type of the muffins. (I had experimented with 4 different recipes about 3 weeks ago when I was given about 25 very ripe bananas by the owner of our local store). I brought 3 of the versions for the potluck. I will type up the 'winning' recipe so you can try baking some yourself!

Pina Colada Banana Bread

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups veggie oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, DRAINED, Reserve 1/3 cup juice
1/3 cup pineapple juice (reserved from canned pineapple)
4-5 medium mashed bananas
1 cup shredded coconut

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. In another bowl, beat the eggs, oil, pineapple juice and vanilla; add pineapple and bananas and coconut. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans, or about 24 lined muffin tins (2/3 full).

Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 min for loaves, 25-30 min for muffins. Cool for 10 min before removing to wire racks. Loaves and muffins freeze well!

yield: 2 loaves, or 2 dozen muffins (or a combination there-of)

Golden Peach and Coconut Muffins

This is another recipe I tried recently and really enjoyed as well.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup shredded coconut
2 eggs
1/2 cup veggie oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 can (15 1/4 oz) sliced peaches, DRAINED and finely chopped. Reserve 1/3 cup peach juice.
1/3 cup peach juice from canned peaches.

In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. in another bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Stir wet ingredients into dry, just until moistened. Fold in chopped peaches.

Fill paper lined muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 min. Cool for 5-10 min before removing to a wire rack.

yield: 1 dozen muffins.

Have fun baking!



9 comments:

Annie said...

Gotta love those 2 year old tantrums! A good smart smack on the bum can set things straight in a second!
I can't believe Ethan is sitting already! Drool. yummy!
I'll have to actually hide banana's to go brown in my house before I can try that tasty looking pina colada recipe! Maybe I can make them at your house when I come!

BevC said...

Sometimes the grocery stores have over ripe bananas on clearance for bakers to use. I may be able to get another donation from our local store too.

Ruth said...

Great post, B! It's so good to hear from you guys. Thanks for the pictures...the kids sure are cute...tantrums and drool and all!!

I'm going to try the pina muffins too. I don't have a good recipe for muffins so this will be a treat.

bye!

Annie said...

oooo! I like the new color!

Anonymous said...

This is just great. The outfits are cute. Will keep checking back to get update on how everyone is doing. Love and miss you all. Nana & Papa

A Place of springs said...

Ok...you have the cutest kids ever!I'm gonna try those muffins. see you soon.

A Place of springs said...

Ok...you have the cutest kids ever!I'm gonna try those muffins. see you soon.

Sarah said...

I love your comment about E dancing!!! that's wonderful! God will honor your hearts' desire. "all your children will be taught of the Lord and great wil be the peace of your children" Isaiah 54:13
and Ethan is so cute!
which ne of the recipes was the favorite? they look amazing, and I was just thinking (after making bran muffins) that I'd love to have some other good muffin recipes. so PTL for answering the desire of my heart!!

Sarah said...

I've started using coconut oil in muffins. it's nice & moist and the beneficial properties of the oil aren't lost by heating