Sunday 3 April 2011

My Garden!

 We have a garden! It is full of spring bulb flowers, and I am LOVING it! I have no idea what most of these are called. But they are gorgeous!

Our Garden also has frogs. At least 8 of them. They are tiny, about the size of your thumb, but they are LOUD. Very, very loud. They've been mating lately and we had several of these gelatinous egg pods floating in the ponds. I say HAD because I have removed almost all of them. I left one pod to see how it will do. The Tadpoles will be a good science project for the kids too. I just don't want too many more of these tiny silence breakers. I've started wearing ear plugs every night just so I can sleep!

In other news, I've been sick. I missed 3 days of work, actually I had to leave part way through one shift. Turns out I have strep throat. On the plus side, I feel almost totally better now, and I found us a Family Doctor! So far, no one else at home has gotten sick, and I'm sort of on a light isolation, but I don't wish this illness on anyone, so I will continue to hold back on my kisses and keep hugs etc to a minimum. Ethan has developed a touch of allergies. His eyes puffed up for a couple days, but have been good now for several days, so I think it is only an allergy to one specific tree or plant pollen. We are thankful that it has settled down now.  I don't know what any of the 3 flowers below are called.


A Rhododendron bush with bright red flowers. I don't know what the purple flowers are called.


Several other flowers.
 I am not sure what this small tree is called. It has bark like an arbutus and has small pink flowers on it. I love the shapes of the branches.
Some more flowers. I know the small yellow ones are narcissus. 
 These fine specimens are on the bushes in front of the house. Again, I don't know what they are. I actually didn't expect the bushes to flower. They're wonderful!
 I may have to print some of these photos! They would make great pictures for the wall!
 A few more flowers.

7 comments:

Steve said...

Nice to see some updates. Great pictures in all three posts. Also good to see that you are enjoying your garden.

A Place of springs said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! I love all the pictures on your past 3 blogs!

The flowers are wonderful. Was it a surprise to see them all come up seeing as it's your first spring there?

The beach pictures are so great. So nice to get out and do those hikes and walks.

Ruth said...

Wow! Very impressive flowers.
Starting bottom right to the left is grape hyacinth, crocus (no surprise) and the flowering bush is camelia. I LOVE those. They are the roses of spring.

And the only other ones I know are the primula and hyacinth.

I can't believe the frogs are that loud.

BevC said...

There is another post that is hidden in the 'older posts' I'm not sure why, but I couldn't make it come up to the front page. It's skiing photos.

A-J said...

Wow, gorgeous flowers! That science experiment will go over great with the kids. I remember being fascinated with tad poles!

Annie said...

SO tempted not to leave a comment after thumbing your nose at me AGAIN!!!! :P :P :P
It looks like you bought a property with Butchart Gardens as a backyard!

Ruth said...

I'm hoping I have time to pop in for a few minutes on the way down Island Monday just to see the Cracknell Gardens!!