Wednesday 23 September 2009

Good-bye 20's

Today was a BEAUTIFUL first day of Autumn. The temperature matched my new age, sunny skies, the leaves are changing colour, crisp morning air, then wonderful warmth.

Ryan presented me with tickets to see the Vinyl Cafe Christmas concert (again) on Dec 6th. I thoroughly enjoyed the show last year, and am really excited to go again this year.

He also managed to get a Dairy Queen cake for me. This is quite a feat as the closest DQ is about 2 hrs away, and he hadn't been to the city in a long time.

The kids were very sweet and gave me cards they had made. Evelyn decorated the envelope for the tickets with dozens of sparkly stickers.




I had felt a lot of trepidation about this coming milestone, but it's turned out okay (so far...) I had a small third-of-life crisis. So, instead of buying myself a new car, I got a haircut! What do you think? I modified the bangs a bit at home as the stylist made them a tad long and too curved in on the sides. Now they're more straight across. (see last picture) I'm interested to see how my hair looks in the morning after it's been washed and not strait-ironed and blow-dried. Right now, I like it. It makes me feel kind of sassy.











Overall, this has actually been a very positive birthday. I do feel older, and it's not 'just another day older' somehow. I'm going to have to consciously learn to celebrate my 'fine lines' and accept the more frequent appearance of grey hairs as a mark of experience. I've heard a quote lately that says "At 20 you have the face God gave you, at 40 you have the face you've earned." So far, I see smile lines. I can definitely live life with the honor of having my face show that I smile!

7 comments:

Annie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
You look GREAT! Man, does Evelyn ever look like you now! haha!! I was comparing your close up pic with the first day of school pic of her.
I think tix to Vinyl cafe is a terrific Gift!!! Wow! And a DQ cake!! What a treat :)
I don't know if I've ever seen you with bangs. You can do a lot with them style-wise.
I'm glad you had such a nice day, for the first day of being 30!

Dawne said...

30 was hard, but it just gets better!!!! I like your hair! Can't believe you've never had bangs. Glad it was warm and sunny. Summer is still here too. Going to plant flower bulbs and play outside while I still can!!! Cheers to the 30's!

Ruth said...

Happy Birthday to yooouuuuuu!!

Yes, 30 had a bit of a bump, but it doesn't last long. I understand the 30s are optimal for women. They come into their own because of the experience and confidence gained from their 20s...

It sounds like you had a wonderful day. Wishing every day as wonderful this year!

Love the new hair style! You have lovely hair and it suits you. You are "beautifuller"!

Love, Ruth
:D

Love Alec & Brenda said...

Love your hair. Glad you had a good BD.

Sarah said...

I remember we had a pastor at central baptist who had smile lines. lots of them. I always thought that I wanted to be like him. :)
yeah, I really love that second picture! the haircut looks really good on you, especially the bangs! we do look really alike. I don't see it in every picture, but that second picture reminds me of me :)
that is amazing for Ryan to get you the DQ cake! so did he hide it in the freezer without you noticing??? I love DQ cakes.
yeah, when the bangs start to grow out, you can tease them to the side.
oh yeah, happy 30th! :) that will be me in 5 months! ha!

Tasha said...

Happy Birthday!!!! You look great for 30 :) I like your bangs. Very cute. It sure feels nice to have a new haircut, hey? I love DQ cakes. You sure are blessed to have a husband go so far to get you one! :)

Ruth said...

Happy Thanksgiving Bev and Ryan, Evelyn and Ethan!!

hugs for you all!
Ruth and Richard