Thursday 19 June 2008

Third week of June





What happened to the second week of June? Well, I worked for 4 days and did house work for 2 days to catch up on the previous 4 that I was working. The kids were horrible for the 4 th day. They were at each others throats and were super clingy.

Ethan has continued to be really clingy, but I think it is in part because he is working on his bottom two eye teeth. For all your sakes, I hope they are cut by the time we travel. He has been really good with all his other teeth, but these ones are really giving him a hard time.

We had to take Ethan's knitted blankets away from him at night. I woke up to him SCREAMING at 6 am last week and went to investigate. He had wrapped a loop of yarn around one of his finger tips. It was wound so tightly the tip was dark purple and I had a hard time freeing him. After I got it off, the colour returned, but he was still whimpering for another 10 minutes. I think the resultant pins and needles were almost as bad! So, he can cuddle it during stories and while awake during the day, but has to use a cloth quilt at night. The first few naps and sleeps were rough, but he seems to be getting used to it now. That blanket is by far his favourite thing, so it's been a bit rough for him.

We had a really interesting storm system blow through. The clouds changed every few minutes and looked like they could be really nasty. The wind shifted from all directions too. It ended up just being a thunder shower, but the lighting was so interesting, I wanted to share a pic of the view from our kitchen.



Ryan bought a Wii Fit while in Victoria a few weeks ago and I have been giving it a try. Wow, I can really feel the workout! Who would have thought a video game could tone your body! Evelyn likes to 'help' me do the tight rope game. For some reason, she feels it is best to do this totally naked.
"Mother!" (She likes to call me 'mother' now) "Can I play with you? I just have to get ready...." (she says this as she starts to strip down in form of me)
"What are you doing?" I ask
"I'm gonna play the exercise game with you. On the tight rope!"
"Why are you taking your clothes off?"
"Oh, because it's better."(Like I should know this fact already)
"Fine, just put your underwear back on. Okay?"I say as I shake my head and wonder (For the thousandth time - what is she thinking?!?!)

We visited the playground on Monday. The grade 1 class was outside playing too. There were two HUGE boxes waiting to be taken to the recycling bin. The grade 1 teacher (Kyle) started to pick his kids up, one by one, and plunk them in one of the big boxes. Evelyn, obviously, was intrigued and asked to get put in the box too. The kids were told to stay quiet while Kyle got the VP to come and help him find his missing class. "My whole class has disappeared. I can't find them anywhere!" says Kyle. When the VP came outside to 'help' find the missing kids, they all jumped up and shouted "Here we are!" I was impressed by how quiet they stayed in the box. Their huge grins showed how much they enjoyed the little trick. Evelyn had a great time too.

Yesterday, we went to WEM with the grade 9 class. Evelyn and Ethan had a blast on the car ride and the jungle gym. Ethan loved the balls and all the oppertunities to hone his climbing skills. That boy LOVES to climb and generally get into mischeif. Evelyn was very well behaved the whole day. She was obedient and stayed where I could see her. I was so happy for that. Ethan was the opposite. Grrr. I guess I can be thankful they weren't both horribly naughty.

Today was my last Big Brother/Big Sister meeting with my 'little sister'. We finished her scrapbook and she got to take it home. I just want to encourage everyone to consider volunteering as an inschool mentor. 1 hr a week is all it takes. Many employeers will even pay you for the time and let you go during the workday. Think about it.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Wow! You've been really busy! And you still post a Blog! You're amazing!! :D
LOL- Wii story- that's hilarious.
And poor Ethan! Teething and knitted blankets! :( boohoo!
Love all the pics.
You always do such a nice job on your entries! The stories are entertaining!

Ruth said...

Awesome blog Bev!! Thanks for keeping it up. Lots going on.

Anonymous said...

Just caught up on your blogs. Looking forward to reading all about your vacation! I think I could now be convinced into getting a Wii too! Jenn