Sunday 27 January 2008

Sleigh Ride, Weenie roast and smores!

The staff of the school had a fun activity together on Saturday. We all piled on 2 sleds and were driven by horses to North Buck Lake (About 4 km from our house) where we had a weenie roast, smores and hot chocolate. The day was perfect. It was actually above freezing for the first time in months! I think it was about +2 degrees.




Evelyn thought she would be riding the horses, and wanted to bring her cowboy hat and 'lasso' (Aka a green dog leash) the hat blew off as soon as we left the house, so she decided to leave it.

On the way home, she got to hold the reigns. She was pretty proud of herself!





One of Ryan's co-workers just got a new puppy and brought it to the roast. It was so cute. Evelyn has a blast playing with it. It bowled her over a few times, but she took it in stride. She spent most of the time at the lake climbing a tall drift of compact snow and taking part in a snowball fight.








Ethan spent his time at the lake being held and cuddled and playing peek-a-boo and playing another game he made up. In this new game, the unsuspecting good Samaritan helps Ethan put his mitten back on his hand. Ethan makes cute-eyes at them and smiles and is basically a cutie. He then proceeds to remove his glove with a flourish, all the while maintaining eye contact with the good Samaritan. The game is that the person will again put his mitten on. And the process repeats. Thankfully, it was warm enough that his hands never got very cold.

After the sleigh ride back, some of the staff came over to our house for hot drinks, goodies and conversation. There were probably 13 people at our house! The kids played Wii, Evelyn had fun watching them. Ethan slept though it all.

Our house was the cleanest it has been in a while. I de-cluttered areas I have been procrastinating about for a long time. All the toys were out of the living room, Evelyn even helped clean up her playroom downstairs. So, today, I am having a very lazy day because everything is done! I love a clutter free, clean house!

It started to snow heavily last evening, and the temp has plummeted to -20! The timing of the outing was perfect! We could not have asked for better weather. I think I may have to shovel the car out of the driveway tonight so I can get to work tomorrow!. It is still snowing now, so I think I'll wait until after supper.

I almost took Ethan in to the hospital last night. His chest cold was sounding worse. He was a bit wheezy and congested. Instead, I used some vapor-rub, took him in the bathroom with the shower going for a while, then I took him outside to breath the cold air. It worked, and he sounded a lot better.

I was up much of the night coughing too. This cough just won't go away! I looked it up on the internet a bit, and read that it will probably take another week to go away-if not longer. I think I'm going to take some Tylenol #3 tonight (The codeine is a powerful cough suppressant) and hope to sleep well. I have to work in the morning.

4 comments:

Annie said...

Priceless pics of your kids!
It is SO nice when the weather cooperates with outdoor activities. When it's too cold no one has a good time. I'm glad it was warm! wow +2!! That's amazing!
I hope you enjoyed your lazy day! :D

Ruth said...

Nice pictures. Kids are so interesing. I hope that the weather wasn't too bad the next day. Wow. 20 below. It get a little difficult to dig snow out much below that temperature. Its also nice to have a clean house with everything in its place. Doesn't take long for the kids to mess it up again. Oh well. The activity is healthy and they do learn to clean it up themselves someday. Then its getting them to cleam up the dishes and put other things where they belong after they are used. Thanks agaisn for writing and sending the pictures.

Grandad.

Ruth said...

I just caught up with you all! Wonderful posts! Great pictures. Evelyn sure loves animals. I love the princess pictures of you and Evelyn. Fun!!

It is a great feeling to de-junk! Good for you.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Love, Ruth

Tasha said...

I love all the pictures of your kids! It sound like you had fun! Tell Evelyn I'm counting down to summer too! Winter sports are fun but the summer is so much better. I will be so excited when it is sunny and there is no snow! Hope you feel better soon.